Homebound (Books by Mail) Services
MPHPL selects and delivers reading materials at no cost to our patrons who are unable to come to the library due to disability or infirmity.
- You must be a resident of Penn or Harris township.
- You must be physically unable to visit our library. Homebound cardholders cannot check out items at the library as well. It is assumed that you are requesting delivery because you are not able to visit our facilities.
- You must be eligible for an MPHPL library card; if a current cardholder, you must be in good standing (all fines are resolved).
- Depending on the number of applicants, you may be placed on a waiting list for Books by Mail services.
HOW it works:
- Begin the application process by calling (574) 259-5277 ext. 1303.
- Once your application is approved, MPHPL staff begin delivery of books to your home via our Books by Mail program.
- Once you have finished your material, simply flip the shipping label over and place with your outgoing mail.
- Books are mailed on your schedule. Once the library has received your bag, MPHPL staff will immediately begin preparing your next shipment.
- Your services will be suspended if:
- An item is lost and billed to your account
- The library receives no contact with you for 90 days
- To suspend or cancel services, notify the Books by Mail Librarian.
WHAT we deliver:
- Qualifying items will have been owned by the library for at least 6 months and include:
- Books (including large print)
The Personal Touch:
MPHPL staff will select materials for you by using the information supplied on your Homebound Service Application or by filling out the Feedback Sheet included in every mailing bag. Requests for specific titles are made by calling the Reference Desk at (574) 259-5277 ext. 1300 or by including a note in your return bag. These items will be placed on hold and delivered to you once they become available.
Please note that ILL (Interlibrary Loan) materials are not available for delivery.
Lending Periods and Fines
MPHPL's lending time and fee policy for our Homebound cardholders is accommodating.
- Items are loaned for 21 days.
- Items may be renewed up to three times by calling the Books by Mail Librarian. Exception: Items placed on hold by other patrons may not be renewed.
- Late fees do not apply for most items. However, after 90 days items are considered lost and will incur replacement fees. Service will be suspended until the item is returned.
The Indiana Talking Book and Braille Library
Residents of Indiana who are blind or have limited vision and those who are not able to hold a book are eligible for services through the Indiana Talking Book and Braille Library. Large print books, digital audiobooks and players, and Braille materials are mailed from the State Library with free return postage guaranteed.
We can assist you in the application process for this program or you can call the State Library at 1-800-622-4970.
For more information, call (574) 259-5277, ext. 1303 or email us at email@example.com.