Don't Be Bored This Summer
Don't Be Bored This Summer
With children and teens off from school and many adults taking staycations, the summer months can start to feel a bit empty. That is why July has become National Anti-Boredom Month. If you are in need of fun activities to fill your and your family’s leisure time, your library can help.
First and foremost, there are many exciting events happening at MPHPL this summer for children, teens and adults. Most importantly, there is MPHPL’s 50th Anniversary Celebration, with food and fun for all ages from 10:30 am – 2:00 pm on July 27th.
Additional MPHPL event highlights
If you are interested in attending an event, please register through our online event calendar, or call us at (574) 259-5277.
Here are some program highlights for adults:
- Two different reading groups (Yak, Snack and Read & Mug ‘n’ Muffin),
- Crafts (DIY pillow making and rolled flower shadowbox design)
- Gaming for grownups
- A 90’s-themed adult trivia night
- The Aspiring Novelists writers’ group
- A Parents and Paladins gaming event
- Genealogy roundtable discussions
- Adulting 101: classes on finance, managing stress, laundry, cooking with spices, and more
- A volunteer day for teens and adults on August 24th
For teens, there is:
- Dungeons and Dragons
- Teen gaming
- League of Legends
- A teen lock-in featuring life-size games
For children, there is:
- Summer STEAM-in' Space Camps
- Magic Space Camp with Mr. Jim
- How to Dork Your Diary
- Kindergarten Day
- Spider-Man Day
- If You Build It Lego® workshops
- Artemis Fowl: Haven City Express
- Storytimes at Central Park and Fresh Thyme Farmer’s Market
- Puppet shows
- Willy Wonka, Jr., a play performed by United Youth Theatre
- Get Your Code On coding classes
- A visit by the Potawatomi Zoo
In addition to events happening at the library, MPHPL can direct you to resources for community events and books with information on activities.
- Free 2019 South Bend Mishawaka guides are available at all locations.
You will also find these recent books and more at MPHPL:
Camping books: Camping With Kids, Camping Activity Book for Families
Ice cream making: The Salt & Straw Ice Cream Cookbook, Food52 Ice Cream & Friends, The Perfect Scoop
Cooking: Paleo Power Bowls, Artisanal Small-batch Brewing, Cookiing with Miss Quad, Charcoal: New Ways to Cook with Fire, Bazaar: Vibrant Vegetarian Recipes
Hiking: 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Chicago Including Wisconsin and Northwest Indiana, Hike It Baby: 100 Awesome Outdoor Adventures with Babies and Toddlers
Home and DIY: TheDadLab : 50 Awesome Science Projects for Parents and Kids, Macramé for Home Décor, Milk Soaps : Making Milk-enriched Soaps from Goat to Almond, Best 1-day Projects, The Crafty Gardener : Inspired Ideas And DIY Crafts From Your Own Backyard, Do-it-yourself Garden Projects and Crafts: 60 Planters, Bird Houses, Lotion Bars, Garlands, and More!, The American Boy's Handy Book: What to Do and How to Do It, The American Girl's Handy Book: Making the Most of Outdoor Fun
Gardening: The Bonsai Book, Grow Your Own Herbs, Bug-free Organic Gardening, Propagating Plants, The Gardener’s Book of Color, Container Gardener’s Handbook
Musical Instruments: Guitar Chords, How to Play Harmonica
Games: Shuffle and Deal: 50 Classic Card Games for Any Number of Players, Adventures in Minecraft
Sports: Train Smart Run Forever, The Ultimate Guide to White Water Rafting and River Camping, Stress Free Motorboating
Online information about activities in Mishawaka and South Bend
On August 10th, the Mishawaka Heritage Festival takes places in Merrifield Park from 4-9 pm.
Online Resources for more events:
The Visit South Bend Mishawaka website offers a community calendar for events in the area.
Charity navigator lists charities that provide educational activities for children bored during the summer.
Mishawaka Parks offer splash pads, river walks and climbing equipment as well as a concert series and other special events.
This summer's Fiirst Fridays in South Bend are A Fair to Remember (July 5th) and Arts Alive (August 2nd).
Downtown South Bend also provides a calendar of activities in the area.